winter holidays means lots of kids art . week 28



It's winter school holidays here in South Africa. The first week I taught an art-intensive. This week I hosted girls from our GROW Ministry at our home (for a Foster-care-respite) as well as conducting a Pop-Up Art Jam for a group of moms and kids that needed a school's-out-activity! We're seeing this time-frame as a huge opportunity for our art business. We tested the waters and will market our Pop-Up Art and Kids Workshops in the coming months! 

I love how God is leading us gently into new waters, helping us test our feet and know that He is in control! Who knew 6 months into #365daysofcreativity could lead to so many ideas and trials for our new business, Grow Creative Solutions!

Here's a peak at what the busy art week looked like:

"FUNKY SUN" POP-UP WORKSHOP

Painting the backgrounds to our "Funky Sun"

rip & paste your own pattern-designs onto painted background

Beautiful African winter day for gathering friends and creating together!


Final Results

5 year old artist

6 year old artist


MAKE-A-ZINE 
I was introduced to the concept of 'zines' recently. I've always loved making my own little books or notebooks, but this is a 'thing' now. Google "make a zine" and you'll get lots of tutorials for making these creative books. Mainly they're collage based. 

I had my little ones from GROW Ministry do their own zine. And of course I had to make one myself. Topic of my book: The Cape Town I Love!
(A3 page, folded and collaged)





Making Kid-zines


TRIUMPH
My puzzle challenge was a success. It took me a week to put the pieces together and one day to color it! This is a big deal for me. I don't have a long attention span. I wasn't sure I'd last. But I was determined to finish this, find the way, and conquer this! Not sure I'll pick up another jigsaw puzzle again for awhile, but glad to know I can do it! 




THE ART OF COOKING 
I've never been good at baking bread. I have one recipe that I've tried and am actually good at, but it's just a lot of work. When my little friends came over, they wanted pizza. I had a few things going through my head: I didn't want to spend the money for ready-made pizza bases, I needed something to keep the girls busy, and I had a new recipe book with a pizza recipe. All the stars aligned and I decided this was a mission for me. The girls were so excited. We used the new recipe ... but thing just didn't look right. So, we googled a how-to video. We all agreed our dough did NOT look like the video. This dang recipe book didn't have pictures of the step-by-step, so we weren't sure we were reading and following along correctly. All that to say, we had to throw it out and start over. The next day, we started again (using the youtube video recipe and steps). We set it outside to rise. Waiting 8 hours. And we were champions of the pizza dough riddle. It was delicious. The whole family felt it was a success. But I'm not sure this is a process I want to create often. Yeast. No my favorite thing to cook with. 

Here's the result of our pizza night:

Homemade base, ham, tomatoes, olives, salami, jalapenos, cilantro, cheese!

Enjoying the fruits of their labor