the work week . week 34



My work has evolved over the years. The traditional ministry or missions model is not my box; my worlds and ingredients have marinated into something more flavorful and creative. Here's a peak into my ministry life these days ...

My community art class! Doing African Sunset paintings.



Matchbox books. Thanks pinterest!
Take an old, empty matchbox, cut a long strip of paper, fold like accordion, and decorate!
This book is Creation themed - the 7 days of creation. 

matchbox book

One of my little creators! GROW tutoring session!

Justice in art.
Tree Cries play by Every Nation Baxter church.
This play was put on by a local church about the 2016 University of Cape Town protests.
It chronologically took us from Creation, the Fall, and Jesus' sacrifice - weaving in the results of the fall, the pain of living on earth, and the need for community and The Church in our redemption. Excited to see The Church deal with beautifully hard themes and give voice to Jesus' empathy. 


This painting was done in 2015 when this gal went through a really hard season. The only way I knew how to deal with my pain and fear in all of it was to paint. Maybe this kick-started the merge of ministry and art for me. I'd often told her this was her painting, that this was the prayer that I prayed for her and God answered. This week, she said, "Melanie, is that my painting?" I said, "Yes it is. Do you want to take it home?" She lit up and said "Yes! I want to put it by my bed!" And so, this prayer took feet and lives with the one living out its prayer! Art was used as a method of communicating to God and now it stands as a reminder that He answers!


This is a map of Cape Town.
I drew the outline and then artistically mapped the regions through color.
I used this as an artwork for a thank you / going-away card.
Thanking my colleague for the ways she's impacted this whole city!
Art in my everyday. Thank yous.
#adobesketch